Water Quality Certification and Isolated Wetland Permits

Anyone who wishes to discharge dredged or fill material into the waters of the U.S., regardless of whether on private or public property, must obtain a Section 404 permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) and a Section 401 Water Quality Certification (WQC) from the state.

Anyone who wishes to discharge dredged or fill material into isolated wetlands in Ohio must obtain an Isolated Wetland Permit from Ohio EPA.

The 401 Water Quality Certification and Isolated Wetland Permitting Section reviews applications for projects that propose the placement of fill or dredged material into waters of the State, including streams, lakes and wetlands. The section also reviews required mitigation of issued permits and performs wetland research.

To make a complaint and/or report illegal fill activities, please email the Complaint Form [Word] to EPA.401Webmail@epa.ohio.gov.


Ohio EPA is providing for public review and comment proposed modifications to the 401 Water Quality Certification for the Nationwide Permits. The public review period ends on September 11, 2014. read more...


New 401 Water Quality Certification Application

Ohio EPA has developed a new 401 water quality certification application (WQC) form. Both the new and old forms will be accepted through July 2014. For more information, please see Application Materials under the Water Quality Certifications tab.

In this video, Agency expert Ric Queen explains wetland classifications, and how the Agency monitors impacts to Ohio wetlands through the permitting processes.