Exam Entrance Letters are emailed to applicants once the application is approved by the Operator Certification Unit. Please check your email for your letter. Exam Entrance Letters can also be found in your Operator Profile in the eBusiness Center’s Operator Service. You will need a hardcopy of your Exam Entrance Letter to enter the exams.
Exam Dates and Deadlines
- 2017 Exam Dates and Deadlines
- IMPORTANT: Applications must be SUBMITTED with PIN and payment in the eBusiness Center by the exam application deadline posted in the announcement above. Submissions after the exam application deadline will not be accepted. If you have any questions, please call our office at (866) 411-6728.
- Education and Experience Requirements
- Class A, I, II and III Applications for Water and Wastewater Certification
- Important exam application reminder:
All currently certified operators must include their supervisor's information and signature in the "Supervisor Information" portion of the exam application. Any applications received without this information will automatically be considered for an operator in training (OIT).
Approved Examination Providers
Ohio EPA is pleased to announce alternative water and wastewater operator certification examinations, which are available more frequently and in more locations than Ohio EPA’s traditional paper and pencil testing. The State of Ohio has approved the Association of Boards of Certification (ABC) as an approved examination provider. Operators may now choose to take an ABC examination and then seek State of Ohio certification for all levels of certification except Class IV. ABC examinations will be offered in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton and Toledo. Ohio EPA will continue to offer paper and pencil examinations in Columbus in the spring and fall of each year. Applications for the traditional paper and pencil testing are available above. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the operator certification unit at 1-866-411-OPCT (6728) or by email. To find out more about the ABC certification program, please visit ABC's Ohio Certification website.
Class IV Certified Operator Exam Information
- Advisory Council Class IV exam review checklists
Training Courses and Experience Credit
The following documents provide need-to know criteria that test-takers will be expected to know for each type of certified operator exam.
Those taking the certified operator exam will be expected to know the formulas provided in the appropriate document below (e.g., those taking the wastewater operator certification exam should consult the "wastewater formulas" document).
A number of helpful references have been compiled to assist those studying for Ohio EPA operator certification exams. These references are only intended as a resource and are not required to be purchased in order for individuals to pass their exams.
Anyone Can Submit an Exam Question Suggestion
The Division of Drinking and Ground Waters accepts exam question suggestions. Complete and submit the Ohio EPA Operator Certification Exam Question Submittal Form provided below. Instructions for submitting the form are included in the document.
- Ohio EPA Operator Certification Exam Question Submittal Form [PDF] or [Word]
Operator Certification eBusiness Center
Welcome to the Ohio EPA Operator Certification Unit eBusiness page. Operators will now be able to access their operator profile, update contact information, view completed courses, submit a variety of applications and even pay program fees electronically. Training Providers will be able to update program contact information, apply for courses, upload course schedules and upload course attendance information for operators. Online access to our more popular applications, payments, and features should streamline the paperwork process and provide the most information in the least amount of time to Ohio’s Operators and Training Providers. Visit the eBusiness Center and use the following links to get started.
- How do I get an eBusiness account? (PDF, Video)
- How do I request a PIN? (PDF)
- How do I request a service?
- Operator Service (PDF, Video)
- NOTE: If you have a certificate, or if you have ever applied for an exam, certificate, or OIT status with Ohio EPA, you have a Core Person ID number. Your core person ID is the middle seven digits of your certification number. If you are not sure of your core person ID please contact the operator certification unit at 1-866-411-OPCT (6728) before selecting "No" and creating a new Core Person ID number.
- Training Provider Service
NOTE: the Training Provider Service and the Operator Service should NOT be activated under the same user account. If your Training Provider contact person is also a Certified Operator, they will need to create a separate account for personal operator functions. They will maintain separate Usernames, Passwords, and PINs for the Training Provider account and their Operator Account.
- Exam Provider Service
- How to apply for Water/Wastewater Certification:
- Ohio EPA Paper and Pencil Examination (PDF, Video)
- Application for Certification Through an Approved Exam Provider (PDF, Video)
- Reciprocity Application (PDF, Video)
- Note: Upon approval of your application, certificates are issued after verification of employment in Ohio.
- How do I Renew my Ohio EPA Operator's Certificate? (PDF, Video)
- For answers to Commonly Asked Questions concerning operator certificate renewals, please click here.
- How to Obtain Contact Hour Approval
- Operator's Application for Ohio EPA Contact Hour Course Approval (PDF, Video)
- Applications must be submitted within 30 days of course completion.
Ohio EPA Training Providers
The following eBusiness links should be used by new Training Providers and those Training Providers who currently submit Contact Hour Course Approval Applications to Ohio EPA for each course. These course approval numbers are generated by Ohio EPA with the "OEPA" prefix and can be found on the approved course list on our website.
- Apply for Ohio EPA Contact Hour Course Approval (PDF, Video)
- Schedule Training Dates for "OEPA" Prefix Courses (PDF, Video)
- Upload Attendance for Courses with "OEPA" Prefix Approval Numbers (PDF, Video)
- Attendance should be uploaded within 30 days of course completion. You will need the Core Person ID number for each operator in attendance.
Approved Contact Hour Training Providers
Approved Contact Hour Training Providers (ACHTPs) are training providers who have received authority from Ohio EPA to issue their own unique course approval numbers without having to submit individual course applications. Training providers will be given the option to apply for the ACHTP program in eBusiness once they have provided a minimum of 12 Ohio EPA-approved contact hours for at least three years. ACHTPs submit monthly training calendars to Ohio EPA by the first of the month for each month they are conducting training.
- Apply for the ACHTP Program
- Upload ACHTP Unique Prefix Course Schedules (PDF, Video)
- Schedules must be uploaded by the first of the month. These schedules will contain ACHTP unique approval numbers and may contain any "OEPA" numbers your organization has been approved to use. You may upload course schedules for more than one course at a time.
- Upload Attendance for ACHTP Unique Prefix Courses (PDF, Video)
- Attendance should be uploaded within 30 days of course completion. You may upload attendance for more than one course at a time. You will need the Core Person ID number for each operator in attendance.
Operator Certification Exam Results
Click on a date below to see that month's operator certification exam results, high scorers list and pass list. Individual scores will be mailed approximately 30 days after the exam. The overall results, high scorers list and pass list will be posted below approximately five to six weeks following the exam.
Important Reminder: No scores will be provided over the phone at any time.
Operator Certification Advisory Council
The Operator Certification Advisory Council is a group of experts in the fields of water and wastewater treatment established by Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) Rule 3745-7-10. The council provides guidance and input to Ohio's water and wastewater operator certification program. Members of the council include four Class III or IV operators (i.e., two water supply and two wastewater treatment), two actively employed sanitary or environmental engineers and two Ohio EPA members (i.e., one representing public water systems and one representing wastewater systems).
All council meetings are held at 9 a.m. at the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, Lazarus Government Center, 50 W. Town St., Columbus, OH.
Certified and Contract Operator Lists
Ohio EPA maintains lists of certified operators, contract operators and expired operator certificates across the state.
To request to be added to the contract operator list, complete the request form below and submit the completed form via email, fax or mail to the contact listed in the form.
- Request to be included in Ohio EPA's List of Contract Operators PDF or Word
Operator of Record Lists
Ohio EPA also keeps a list of the operators of record for the following systems:
Rules and Enforcement
Operator certification rules can be found in Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) Chapter 3745-7. To view recent operator certification enforcement actions taken by the Division of Drinking and Ground Waters, please visit the Enforcement page.
Forms and Resources
- Operator in Training (OIT) Documentation Form [PDF or Word or Word Fill-in]
- Use this form to document work experience as an operator in training.
- Reciprocity Application
- Use this form to apply for reciprocity. The Director may grant certification by reciprocity to an applicant holding a valid certificate or license from another state or province.
- Operator of Record (ORC) Notification Form [PDF or Word]
- Use this form to update Ohio EPA with operator of record information (e.g., hired a new ORC, hired an additional ORC, remove a previous ORC, make changes to an existing ORC's information).
- Request for Public Water System (PWS) Reclassification [PDF or Word]
- Minimum Staffing Reduction Request Form [PDF or Word]
- Use this form to request a reduction in minimum staffing hours.
- Fee Schedule
- This document includes a variety of fees assessed by Ohio EPA. The fees related to public water systems, including operator certification fees, begin on page 18.
Operator Job Analyses
The following documents include general knowledge and skills that certified operators should have at each classification level.
Water and Wastewater Career Opportunities
Are you interested in a career in water or wastewater? Ohio needs water and wastewater operators and more jobs are available every day. There are many utilities and professional organizations that maintain lists of current job postings. Clicking the link below will direct you to a list of sites we have compiled. You may also wish to search postings for your city, county, township or other wastewater or public water systems in your area by contacting those utilities directly. If you are a business or municipality who would like to add your job search website to this list, please contact the Operator Certification Unit. (Note: We are not posting individual job opportunities at this time.)