The former Newark Air Force Base (NAFB) is located in Heath, Ohio, in Licking County and occupies an area of approximately 70 acres. NAFB was constructed in the early 1950s to house and support aluminum presses in the manufacture of aircraft wings, but this program was curtailed in 1953, and it was never used for that purpose. From 1953 to 1959, NAFB was used to store industrial equipment and was designated Air Force Industrial Plant Number 48. In 1959, NAFB became the Heath Maintenance Annex of Dayton Depot. In 1962, NAFB was modified to accommodate calibration and repair activities and was designated as the Newark Air Force Station. It housed the 2802nd Inertial Guidance and Calibration Group. In 1968, the Aerospace Guidance and Metrology Center replaced the Inertial Guidance and Calibration Group and was designated the Newark Air Force Base.
In 1993, the Air Force decided to transfer NAFB’s mission to private contractors. NAFB was subject to closure pursuant to the Base Closure and Realignment Act of 1990. In 1996, a 57-acre parcel was transferred to the Heath-Newark-Licking County Port Authority and became the Central Ohio Aerospace and Technology Center. In 2003, a 13-acre parcel, located north of the main base, was transferred to the Licking County Airport. The Air Force plans to transfer one more small parcel (less than 1 acre) to the Port Authority in 2009.
The primary contaminant at the facility is Freon 113 and was detected in soil and ground water. Freon 113 was used as the primary solvent for cleaning parts and was disposed of at several areas around the 57-acre parcel prior to regulations. Freon 113 is not harmful to human health at the concentrations detected in environmental media. The Air Force has instituted land use controls in the deed to prevent the use of ground water.
The Air Force acquired the 13-acre parcel in 1984. This parcel was used as a dump by the former owners before the Air Force acquired it. The Air Force used the parcel as a buffer zone. Construction debris, excavated soil, concrete rubble, steel structures, petroleum refinery wastes and asphaltic materials were reportedly dumped in this area. The only contaminant of concern at this parcel is bis (2 chloroethyl) ether, which was detected in ground water at concentrations that exceed human health risk criteria. The Licking County Airport is using this parcel to maintain a clear-fly zone. The Air Force has implemented land use controls in the deed to prevent the use of ground water beneath the parcel.
The 1-acre parcel, referred to as Facility 87, was a hazardous waste storage facility and is currently undergoing closure under the federal Resource Conservation Recovery Act, which is administered by Ohio EPA’s Division of Hazardous Waste Management. The Air Force plans to complete closure activities and transfer the parcel to the Port Authority in 2009. This is the only remaining parcel to be transferred.
Summary date: January 2009