Environmental Response and Revitalization Site Summary

Integrity Drive Drum Dump

Background

The Integrity Drive drum dump site is located off of Integrity Drive South in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. It is located north of the Anchor Landfill, south of Integrity Drive South, east of Interstate 70 and west of Alum Creek Drive. Alum Creek also flows on the east side of the site. The land surrounding the site is used for commercial and industrial purposes.

Two U.S. EPA removal actions have occurred at the site, one in 1995 to remove surface drums and a sludge pit and one in 2007 to remove buried drums from 1.274 acres owned by the Columbus/Franklin County Metro Parks (Metro Parks). The extent of the drum dump is currently unknown.

Site History
1920-1968: Site owned by Franklin County.

1960s: Aerial photographs seem to indicate that the property was being used as a landfill (possibly in connection with the neighboring Anchor Landfill, which operated from 1954-1972). Based on the aerial photographs, dumping appears to have ceased by 1964.

1968-1980s: George Bentz, owner of Integrity Supply (a manufacturer and wholesaler of plumbing fixtures and supplies) bought the property (about 103 acres) from Franklin County in 1968. At that time, the property contained farm buildings previously used by the county. Bentz began development of the property as an industrial park (i.e., the Columbus Commerce Center). Benz complained to the city of Columbus on several occasions that vandals were dumping “loads of trash and garbage” on the southeast corner of Integrity Drive. The area was apparently filled with broken concrete and dirt in 1980-1981.

Nov. 14, 1990: Ohio EPA Division of Emergency and Remedial Response (DERR) Emergency Response (ER) received a complaint from the Columbus City Police Department regarding drums in the woods (spotted during a flyover). ER, Ohio EPA Special Investigations and the Bureau of Criminal Investigations investigated the site on Nov. 16, 1990. The drums, which were lying on the ground surface, were badly deteriorated and appeared to contain adhesive or mastic waste.

1991: Mr. Bentz had died by 1990 and Huntington Trust Company was administrating the George Bentz estate, the Bentz Foundation. Huntington “sampled” seven drums. They identified the following substances in these drums: an asphalt or asphaltic material; resin (possibly a phenol-formaldehyde condensate similar to Bakelite); gypsum mixed with ash or soil; paint sludge; and roof patching cement. 

March 4, 1993: Ohio EPA DERR completed a Preliminary Assessment for the site. The Preliminary Assessment noted numerous drums and paint cans scattered over the site. Many were crushed and open and many contained sludge-like materials.

1994-1995: Ohio EPA DERR completed Integrated Assessments for U.S. EPA at Integrity Dive and Anchor Landfill. Soil, surface water and sediment samples were collected. Soil samples from the dump area contained metals, pesticides, PCBs, semi-volatile organic compounds and volatile organic compounds. A “sludge pit” was identified along the Integrity Drive and Anchor Landfill boundary. The sludge contained pesticides (chlordane), PCBs, semi-volatile organic compounds and volatile organic compounds. In 1995, Ohio EPA DERR recommended to U.S. EPA that an Expanded Site Inspection be conducted.

May 1994: Ohio EPA DERR requested that U.S. EPA conduct a time critical removal action at the site to remove the drums.

March 1995: U.S. EPA conducted a time critical removal action. U.S. EPA excavated the sludge pit and removed about 600 drums (including labpack containers) from the ground surface. U.S. EPA disposed of 276,298 pounds of PCB and chlordane contaminated soil, 131,298 pounds of PCB contaminated soil, 274,420 pounds of lead contaminated paint waste and soil and 10 pounds of mercury.

1996-1997: Ohio EPA DERR completed an Expanded Site Inspection for U.S. EPA. Three monitoring wells were installed. No contaminants were found in the ground water samples from the monitoring wells. Due to the lack of documented ground water or surface water contamination, the site was given a “no further remedial action planned” designation.

1999-2001: One parcel was sold by the Bentz Foundation to J&J Investment Co. on Sept. 16, 1999, and a second parcel to J&J Investment on Aug. 9,

2001: Ohio Soil Recycling currently operates on the property.

2005: J&J Investment transferred 1.274 acres adjacent to Alum Creek to the Metro Parks.

2006: On Aug. 20, 2006, buried drums are discovered on the Metro Park property during construction of a bike path. Ohio EPA DERR requested that U.S. EPA conduct a time critical removal action at the site to remove the drums from the Metro Park property.

Aug. 20, 2006: Buried drums were discovered on the Metro Park property during construction of a bike path. One of the drums was punctured by the bull dozer, and the bull dozer and its operator were sprayed with a black material. The drum was later determined to contain trichloroethene. Ohio EPA DERR ER responded to the release and the drum and contaminated soil were removed from the site.

Oct. 30, 2006: Ohio EPA DERR requested that U.S. EPA conduct a time critical removal action at the site to remove the drums from the Metro Park property. 

Jan. 26, 2007: U.S. EPA’s consultant completed a site assessment report for the bike path area.

April 16-20, 2007: U.S. EPA conducted a time critical removal action. A total of 15 roll-off boxes of waste were removed from the site.

IntegrityDrive1

Photograph 1: August 2006, punctured drum.

IntegrityDrive2

Photograph 2: April 2007, excavating drums during the removal action.

For more information on this site, contact:

Fred Myers
Ohio EPA, Central District Office, DERR
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, OH 43216-1049
(614) 728-3830