Environmental Response and Revitalization Site Summary

Hershberger Landfill

The Hershberger Landfill is located on Crottinger Road in southeast Union County and has an area of approximately 15 acres. The landfill operated from 1970 to 1975 and accepted municipal and industrial wastes. After the landfill closed, the operator failed to control leachate outbreaks that flowed into two tributaries of Sugar Run. The leachate contained several volatile organic compounds and semi-volatile organic compounds, mainly from the disposal of industrial wastes.

In 1984, Ohio EPA identified several companies that used the landfill In 1986, five of the companies volunteered to participate in an environmental assessment of the site, but negotiating the terms of the administrative consent order took several years to complete. In 1991, four of the companies signed the consent order and agreed to complete a remedial investigation/feasibility study (RI/FS). Ohio EPA approved the RI report in 1995 and approved the FS report in 1996.

The RI indicated that the leachate posed an unacceptable risk to human health. The FS identified potential methods to reduce the human health risks to acceptable levels. Based on the information in the FS, Ohio EPA issued the preferred plan for the Hershberger Landfill in September 1996 for public comment and held a public hearing on Nov. 20, 1996. The preferred plan identified containment as the preferred method to address the leachate. In April 1997, Ohio EPA issued the decision document, which described the selected remedial alternative and performance standards.

In 1998, five companies signed an administrative order of consent (AOC) to complete a remedial design/remedial action (RD/RA) and operate and maintain the remedial action. The generators agreed to install and operate a leachate collection system; augment the landfill cap; manage landfill gas; implement periodic ground water monitoring; and install a fence around the site. The construction of the leachate collection system, cap and fence was completed in August 1998. The explosive gas monitoring system was completed and approved in 1999. Ohio EPA approved the Construction Completion Report on April 25, 2000. The companies maintain the landfill in accordance with an operation and maintenance plan. 

Before cleanup

Photograph 1: Site before cleanup activities.

After Cleanup

Photograph 2: Site after cleanup activities, Oct. 22, 2004.

Summary date: July 2006

For more information on this site, contact:

Fred Myers
Ohio EPA, Central District Office, DERR
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, OH 43216-1049
(614) 728-3830