Hagglunds-Denison Corp. (Hagglunds) formerly owned and operated an administrative, equipment research and testing facility located at 1220 Dublin Road in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Denison Hydraulics purchased the Hagglunds-Denison Corp. on June 15, 1993. Denison Hydraulics then sold the 1220 Dublin Road property to the construction services company, Elford, Inc., on March 29, 1996.
The former Hagglunds site, consisting of five buildings, was built in 1959 on approximately 5 acres of land. The main building’s first floor housed the company’s research operations, while the business offices were on the second floor of the building. The four smaller buildings were generally used for equipment testing at Hagglunds.
The primary function of the former Hagglunds site was to test pumps, valves and various other hydraulic equipment. Daily operations at the site included metal degreasing and painting of hydraulic equipment using cutting oils, solvents and hydraulic oils. Liquid waste streams from the testing and refinishing operations were stored in three underground storage tanks (USTs) located outside the main building. The three USTs' contents were pumped out as needed, or at least weekly, by Hagglunds and taken to an off-site disposal facility.
In October 1987, Hagglunds tested the tank tightness on three USTs, Tanks C-1, C-2 and C-3. Tank C-1 was a 550-gallon storage unit for hydraulic oil, C-2 was a 550-gallon storage for waste oil, and C-3 was a 10,000-gallon storage unit for diesel fuel. The tank tightness testing indicated leakage from Tank C-1, which was excavated and removed on March 28, 1988. Tank C-2 was removed on March 31, 1988, with soil contamination observed in the excavated pit. Part of the excavated soil was used for backfill in the area of Tank C-2. Chromium, lead, polychlorinated biphenols (PCBs), and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were detected at low levels in the soils around Tank C-2. Ground water monitoring around Tank C-2 also detected several VOCs. Hagglunds performed a number of soil sampling events at the former Tank C-2 location from April 1991 to December 1992 that confirmed the release of several contaminants.
In August 1990, Tank C-3 was removed from the site. This tank’s area underwent a limited soil investigation and was accepted as clean (no further action required) by the State Fire Marshal's office in August 1992.
Hagglunds began on-site ground water monitoring in 1988 after several VOCs were found at levels above the drinking water standard maximum contaminant levels (MCLs). To address this contamination, Hagglunds voluntarily installed a ground water capture system in May 1991. The pumped ground water was discharged directly to a Columbus sanitary sewer line. The system operated from May 1992 until January 1996, pumping a total of 20.3 million gallons of ground water into the sewer.
Hagglunds also continued the investigation and remediation activities at the site. The existing 12 monitoring wells were sampled semiannually from 1989 and to July 1991. Seven on-site monitoring wells were also installed and sampled in October 1991, January 1992 and December 1992.
Hagglunds entered into an administrative consent order with Ohio EPA on Dec. 28, 1992, to address the environmental contamination at the site. Under the consent order, a remedial investigation and feasibility study (RI/FS) were completed to evaluate the existing conditions at the site. A site-specific work plan for the RI was approved in July 1993.
The RI work included the installation of three off-site ground water monitoring wells to the west of the site in 1993. This brought the total number of ground water monitoring wells to 22, 19 on-site and three off-site. In December 1993 and October 1994, Hagglunds sampled 13 different ground water monitoring wells for selected VOCs. One soil boring was taken 25 feet to the west of the Tank C-2 area in December 1993.
The RI report was approved by Ohio EPA on Jan. 18, 1996. The RI human health and ecological assessments indicated that the remaining concentrations of VOCs at the site did not pose any further significant exposure risk. The source of the VOC contaminants had been removed through the three UST removals and the associated soil excavation work. The residual VOC concentrations were expected to decrease as natural degradation processes occurred. Ohio EPA, therefore, determined that the former Hagglunds plant site did not constitute a threat to human health or the environment. In June 1997, Ohio EPA selected the "No Further Action" alternative as the preferred plan’s remedial choice for the former Hagglunds site.
Attachment 1: 1992 Administrative Consent Order
Attachment 2: 1997 Decision Document
Summary Date: July 2004